At Berwick Hills Primary School we follow the statutory framework for the EYFS.
Nursery and Reception work together to ensure the curriculum is shaped by the four guiding principles of the EYFS:
- Every child is a unique child who is constantly learning and can be resilient, confident and self-assured
- Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships
- Children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates. In Nursery and Reception we aim to provide a fun and exciting curriculum that allows each child to develop and achieve their full potential. Each term, the learning is based around a different topic to develop and broaden children’s experiences and develop their understanding of the world around them. We provide challenging opportunities for children to explore ideas, resources and experiences. Observations are a crucial part of an ongoing cycle that feeds all our planning and are a crucial part to providing outstanding early years provision. All practitioners observe the children.
- Planning and teaching is changed according to the individual needs of the children. We follow topic based planning as a starting point however, our planning is flexible and we take the children’s interests and fascinations into account. Assessment systems are in place to build up a key comprehensive picture of each child’s learning progress. Play experiences are recorded, monitored and next steps are planned for in order to move children’s learning forward.
- Each day children across the Nursery and Reception classes experience a balance between adult-led activities and child-initiated learning. This balance shifts to more adult-led learning towards the end of the Reception year in preparation for Key Stage One. We ensure and support children to be motivated and excited to learn along their own unique learning journey.
Please click here to view the EYFS Gallery